Did you know that Lake Norman is the largest man-made body of fresh water in North Carolina? That’s right – this massive lake was created between 1959 and 1964 as part of the construction of the Cowans Ford Dam by Duke Energy.
And what a beautiful lake it is! Surrounded by lush forests and rolling hills, Lake Norman is a popular spot for boating, fishing, swimming and simply enjoying the great outdoors.
The lake stretches for 52 miles, from Huntersville to Charlotte. Here are 10 interesting facts about this incredible natural resource.
- The lake is named after Duke Power president Norman Atwater Cocke.
- Lake Norman is home to over 50 species of fish, including bass, catfish, and crappie.
- The largest recorded catch from Lake Norman was a 52-pound catfish!
- Over six million people visit Lake Norman each year.
- The lake is a popular spot for boating, fishing, swimming, and waterskiing.
- There are over 500 miles of shoreline at Lake Norman.
- The average depth of the lake is 33.5 feet, with a maximum depth of 112 feet.
- Lake Norman is home to the Charlotte Motor Speedway, which hosts NASCAR races.
- The Lake Norman Yacht Club is the largest yacht club in the Carolinas.
- Lake Norman State Park is a popular spot for hiking, camping, and picnicking.
Whether you’re looking to enjoy a day on the lake or learn more about its history, Lake Norman has something for everyone! What are your favorite facts about this North Carolina gem?
FAQ Of Lake Norman: North Carolina
How deep is Lake Norman?
With a depth of 34 feet (avg), 150 miles of shoreline and over 520 miles of coastline, Lake Norman is perfect for all your water-based activities.
What kind of fish are in Lake Norman?
The most common fish found in Lake Norman are bass, catfish, crappie, and stripers. However, there are over 50 different species of fish that call this lake home.
Can we swim in Lake Norman?
Yes, the water quality is regularly monitored by Duke Energy and is considered safe for swimming. In fact, there are several public beaches where you can enjoy a refreshing dip on hot summer days.
What is there to do at Lake Norman?
There’s no shortage of things to do at Lake Norman! In addition to swimming, boating and fishing, you can also enjoy hiking, picnicking, golfing and much more. There are even several wineries in the area that offer tours and tastings.
Whether you’re looking for a relaxing weekend getaway or an action-packed vacation, Lake Norman has something for everyone. So what are you waiting for? Come and explore this amazing place!
Lake Norman is truly a hidden gem in North Carolina and we hope you have the chance to visit it soon. Explore with us we are offering multiple tour packages of Lake Norman.